Mehndi The Colour of Love: In Indian Traditions and Customs Mehndi is one of the part of “16 Signs of Marriage”. Mehndi function is grand celebration that takes place in Indian weddings a day before the wedding. Mehndi for the bride is sent by her in-laws family on her special day. According to Indian rituals it is necessary to put that Mehndi. It’s a saying that Darker colour of her Mehndi signifies the more love from her husband and the red colour of Mehndi signifies the love she will get from her Mother-in-law.
Following the Indian Wedding Rituals this Mehndi turns into a fun game and is played between the Bride and the Groom on their wedding night. The Mehndi Artist writes the groom’s name on the bride’s palm which is hidden by the beautifully designed Mehndi so that it cannot be found easily. If the groom finds his name on the bride’s palm she gets a Wedding Night Gift from her husband.
7 Important things to be remember before applying Mehndi
- A bride needs to book a Mehndi artist before her Mehndi celebration day, so she does not face any problem on her Mehndi day.
- A dry Mehndi needs to be kept in water a night before so that Mehndi can give you colour of love.
- Decide a pleasant and cloudless place where you can sit at the time of applying Mehndi.
- Take proper rest and have your food before applying mehandi because Mehndi designing is of long and can take up to 3 or 4 hours..
- Clean and polish your hands and legs with oil before applying Mehndi.
- Take a rough piece of cotton cloth to clean Mehndi, incase your Mehndi get disturbed by something.
Photo Courtesy: Knottydays
5 Important things to be remember at the time of applying Mehndi
- Wear something traditional or designed as it is your photo shoot day too.
- Finalize the mehandi design before applying Mehndi
- Sit with some of your friends and play music so that you do not get bored as Mehndi is a lengthy process.
- Inform the husband’s name to mehandi artist at the time of Mehndi applying so that he can write her husband’s name secretly.
- Take a mixture of lime, sugar and water with you at the time of Mehndi applying .
4 Important things to be remember after Mehndi applying
- Never use a electric dryer to dry your Mehndi, it may destroy your Mehndi designs.
- Do not wash you hands and legs after applying Mehndi
- Kep Mehndi on the hande and legs for at least eight to nine hours for the best colour.
- Keep applying lime and sugar every hour for best results.
Don't want to miss out on the latest trends for your wedding?
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Mehndi for a girl is very important part of being a bride in India.Mehndi is essential part of a bride’s beauty with many memorable moments of her Mehndi day. It is not only a custom but it’s a great celebration with your friends and family which is a unforgettable day in your life.
Photography: | Knottydays |